Tooth discoloration (also termed tooth staining) is the abnormal colour, hue or translucency of tooth.There are three main types if tooth discoloration.
- External discoloration is accumulation of stains on the tooth surface. i.e when the outer layer of the tooth (enamel) is stained. Coffee, wine, cola or other drinks or foods can stain teeth. Smoking also causes extrinsic stains.
2. Intrinsic stains or internal discoloration is due to absorption of pigment particles into tooth structure. These kind of stains are caused due to the following.
- If you had too much exposure to fluoride during early childhood.
- If your mother used tetracycline antibiotics during the second half of pregnancy or if you used tetracycline antibiotics when you were 8 years old or younger.
- You had trauma that affected a tooth when you were a young child. A fall for example may damage the developing permanent tooth.
- Dental trauma to permanent teeth causing internal bleeding within the tooth or pulp infection causing tooth discoloration will most likely require a root canal treatment.
3.Age related discoloration is a combination of extrinsic and intrinsic factors. The middle layer of the tooth, i.e dentin naturally yellows over time. The enamel that covers the teeth gets thinner with age,which allows the yellowish dentin to show through.
Extrinsic stains can be prevented by:
- Limiting your consumption of dark-colored foods and drinks.
- Not smoking or chewing tobacco.
- Rinsing mouth with water after consumption of dark food or beverages.
Reduce the risk of developing intrinsic stains by:
- Practicing proper oral hygiene.
- Limiting your use of tetracycline antibiotics, fluoride or other chemicals.
- Wearing a mouth guard while playing sports, and taking necessary precautions to prevent dental injury.
Professional teeth whitening is a highly effective solution on both extrinsic and intrinsic tooth stains.At Cosmodent India, we provide three safe and effective whitening treatments that will ensure your treatment is catered to your needs.
For patients with particularly dark intrinsic discoloration or stubborn extrinsic stains,we recommend alternative whitening treatment such as porcelain veneers- thin shells that cover the front of your teeth to hide any cosmetic imperfections. If a tooth is damaged, cracked and stained, a complete ceramic dental crown is used to restore the aesthetic and function of the tooth.Whatever the solution,you can expect to leave with a bright white smile from Cosmodent India.